Thursday, September 10

School is back in session!

I've been meaning to blog about homeschooling for several weeks. We did continue to do school through the summer with a really fun curriculum that I should write about at some point. I had a blast! We took several weeks off in August and now we have finished our first two weeks of "real" school. I've been calling it that because it is our first attempt to cover a week's worth of lessons from all the subject areas at the same time. : ) So far, it has gone wonderfully! I'm so pleased with our curriculum and the atmosphere of our home these days.

It is a great help that Aiden recently became interested in videos and cartoons and can be easily distracted with "Mickey Mouse" if we need some extra time while he is awake. But he is even wanting to get in the mix and joins us most mornings to color or drive his cars on the kitchen table while we work.

We just finished reading "Rainbow Garden" as part of our literature for the country of England. The book was written from a child's point of view as she slowly realized what it meant to trust Christ and give her heart to him. I was coughing a lot as I read it trying to keep from crying through the whole thing. : )

Today, the boys and I practiced prepositions and plural nouns with a text about Jesus teaching his disciples to be fishers of men. I noticed that Austin had written the sentence, "I want to be a fisher of men." He is hearing the gospel articulated often through many different avenues. I pray that God will use all of it to draw their precious hearts close to himself.

3 comments:

Rody and Wendy Chesser said...

Is this the Veritas stuff? Are you using Saxon math? One more question..who is the author of the book. That sounds good.

Erickson Family said...

Our language curriculum is Character Quality Language Arts. We've only done a few weeks of it but so far I'm a big fan.

Patricia St. John is the author of the novel. My book also recommends The Secret at Pheasant Cottage.

Austin is using Saxon. Andrew is still finishing Abeka from last year. I think we will do Singapore Math when we finish this one.

: )

Unknown said...

How wonderful! It sounds like a great environment for your family. I hope you're taking good notes for all us future mommies. ;)