We stayed at our agency's guest house. We had a nice master bedroom with a bathroom and small balcony. The kitchen was set up for us so that we could fix our own meals or we could sign up to eat the meal that the cook prepared. The guest house is a short walk to AAI, our agency's office and children's home.
However, our pun'kin is currently at the Missionaries of Charity orphanage across town. When Gail from our agency picked us up the first morning we headed straight there to meet her. After driving through a huge metal gate and parking in the courtyard, we met with Sister Joan of Arc. She escorted us to a large office and we waited there for her to bring in our baby.
Bobby got the cameras ready and I stood shivering all over, nervous and excited. A young Ethiopian nun dressed like Mother Teresa walked through the door holding a bundle of blankets. I couldn't even see a baby in there. She spoke softly, "Desta."
That was us. That's our baby. I walked forward and saw the most precious face. She looked just like the referral picture but now two months older. She has very distinct features and the tiniest nose. She had a very serious look at first and this displeased the nuns. They spoke Amharic with her but it was almost as if we could understand them saying, "Come on sweetie, show them your smile! Where's your smile?"

1 comment:
ahhhhh! I'm so excited! Can't wait to see pictures of your daughter!
Post a Comment