Friday, May 27

Embassy Trip


There are so many things that I want to write about our second trip to Ethiopia and our first few weeks as a family of six, but I don't know if I will ever get it typed out. : )

When we said goodbye to Desta in November, we never imagined it would take us five months to travel back to pick her up. Of course, we all prayed for her and continually kissed her picture telling her that we would be back for her. I wish that she would not have had to spend ten months in a "less than optimal" environment. (That's what they say in adoption circles.) It certainly was less than optimal, and I can't understand why God allowed all of that to happen. But we trust that He was the one who directed our steps and He will heal her heart from that time.

Our transition has been incredibly smooth. Our family finally feels "whole" and we are enjoying every minute of being together. After being home for a week or two, I realized how light I felt. Even after adding another child's needs to our daily life, the emotional weight of trying to get Desta home is finally over. I didn't realize how much energy it was taking and how much stress it was adding. Our daily struggle of trying to stay focused on our life here, while wondering if there was anything more we should be doing to speed her homecoming, was exhausting. I don't think we fully realized that until now. It feels WONDERFUL to have her HOME.

No comments: